Sep 23, 2016
We now know what is wrong and it isn’t good
Colin was out on a job when I got a call early yesterday ( Thursday ) morning from the vet. Bottom line Carmeh has pancreatitis and I needed to bring her in ASAP to start an IV on her to push fluids. She would need to stay overnight and continue the IV treatment until the end of today when she would be reassessed. What a shock. As they are not a 24 hour vet I was told that they would transfer her to another clinic for the night unless we felt we could handle her.
So I rushed her out the door. She had been very ill last Thursday and Friday and again on Wednesday which is why I brought her in for tests. Yesterday morning she appeared normal and pain free and was wagging her tail. Sadly if she did not have treatment she likely would have increasingly painful bouts until she had a possible fatal episode. You can Google pancreatitis in dogs if you want the details.

I got there in record time but we had at least a 20 minute wait before they started her IV. She wanted out of there and was even pawing at the door to be let out. I wish I had.

I just hated to leave her alone. They said they would give her morphine for the pain and to calm her.
Colin and I were to pick her up at 5PM. She was not to be fed but could have water if she wanted to. They said she would not need any further pain medication and she could move about a bit. We were to return at 8:30AM today to resume the IV.
Her eyes were glazed, she could not walk nor stand and she was incontinent. We took her outside but Colin had to hold up her hind legs, she did not pee. She appeared to be a zombie.
Carmeh needed to be held constantly. Despite being drugged she was unsettled and any noise would make her cry out. Eventually we noticed fluid coming out of her eyes and her nose and she continued to be incontinent. We went thru all the towels we had. About midnight she began having trouble breathing and her stomach was contracting and had constant spasms. We had no idea what was happening but she could not catch her breath. Colin kept stroking her and she finally settled a bit. She calmed about 2AM for about two hours then got restless again. It was a non sleep night, maybe a 10 minute doze here and there for us. It was the most frightening experience for us.
Long story short we met the vet this morning and expressed our displeasure. We had no idea if she had been over hydrated or over medicated. We were told that the over hydration was on purpose and that we should have been told about the reactions to the morphine. All I can say is that I brought a happy dog into the vet yesterday morning and brought home a disaster. We really thought that we were going to lose her last night.
She is better tonight and I will catch you up on today’s details in my next post. We are still happy with our bringing her home last night as I doubt that she would have got the attention we gave her, especially changing her wet towel every 30 minutes. After all the IV fluid had to come out.
We do have a long road ahead of us over the next several weeks.
Thanks to the many of you who gave me ideas for travel insurance. Obviously my research will have to wait till next week.






























