May 25, 2021

The past two weeks have been a blur of emotion

Checking out their domain.

My last post was May 18th but sadly I tripped on a dog toy hidden under a blanket on the floor a week earlier on the 11th. I could not move for two full days nor bend my right knee ( the one I had surgery on back in January of 2020 ). I used ice, heat and something similar to icy/hot. Fortunately I had a chiropractic appointment booked for the 14th which I knew would be of help. Sadly for me but wonderful for Colin, he got a full day job for that Friday.  There was no way that I could drive myself. I finally did see my chiro on the 19th but by then my left leg was 1/2 inch shorter and my right scapula had sunk given me searing pain anytime I moved my right arm or raised it. Hence very little posting. My chiropractor helped immensely on the 19th as did my masseuse on Friday the 21st. I am slowly healing.

A favorite pastime.

They do love each other but still get some nasty bites in and we hear the odd loud yip!

I was angry when I went to Superstore on the 19th ( Colin was driving me ) as at least 4 – 5 people ( that I personally observed ) were not wearing any masks at all, not even hanging around their necks. I finally went to customer service where they said that some folks can’t wear a mask and there was nothing they could do about it. Two days later I made a very quick stop at Canadian Tire where there was a huge sign at the entrance stating that all who entered had to be wearing a mask. Plus they had a security person standing there to enforce the message on the sign. Good for you Canadian Tire. Well done. Every stop was painful on the right side of my body but some things just needed to be done.

Lots of wind and high waves Tuesday, the 18th.

A branch fell from a tree and of course they found it. They will chew anything including my toes.

We have neighbours on both sides of us doing renovations. Between the one using heavy equipment to remove his concrete driveway, patio and RV pad ( stressful to us, noisy and the house shakes ) and very dusty. The one on the other side was pouring large amounts of new cement ( tolerable as they were very efficient ) and we were surrounded by noise and dust.  The concrete removal job has been going on since April 8th. So I negotiated between the two properties a time when we could bring the RV to our site to do a clean. We are really hoping do at least three trips this summer. All depends on how our travel lockdown eases up.

Interesting lighting last Wednesday, calmed me down after my Superstore visit.

Slightly out of focus but it looks to me like the female is doing a dance for her partner.

Colin treated the girls to a picnic last Thursday morning. The sun was shining.

A great way to end the day, last Thursday.

So we moved the RV from the storage lot to our driveway ( a bit hanging out front  😉  ) on Thursday May 19th with the intent to remove the RV 48 hours later as we are no longer allowed three nights.  We were disheartened to discover that mice had paid our mobile home a visit over the winter.  Remember my blog last fall asking you on suggestions how to avoid mice visiting the RV over the winter. Colin put four of those suggestions into action but still we had some tiny visitors. Frustrating. So we spent most of Thursday and part of Friday cleaning up mice turds.  All the drawers were brought inside, the contents washed, the drawers vacuumed and disinfected. The bedding that I had washed and made the bed with had to be rewashed as well as everything else sitting on the bed.  Such a waste of time. I was upset because just the day after a helpful recovery via the chiropractor I was aggravating my shoulder again with repetitive scrubbing motions. I had no choice, no way could Colin do it all.

Long story short our landscaper was here early last Thursday morning to do a quick job providing water to our five potted tomato plants on the patio. That led to him checking why we had some dry spots on the lawn. Turns out two zones were not even working. That led to him discovering that our GFI plug was not working. That plug controls our three irrigation zones as well as any other electrical plugs outside which meant that Colin could not vacuum the RV. Oh, I forgot to mention that our outdoor freezer no longer had power and the majority of our food had thawed out. Furious! Angry at the waste of money spent on ruined food. It was a very expensive visit by an electrician late in the afternoon – for a ten minute fix.

Enjoying my cuddle time and tranquility last Saturday, my 68th birthday. The morning was perfect ( once the demolition equipment stopped working ) but we got some afternoon clouds hence the sweater.

It was so relaxing just being still and absorbing nature all around me. Colin suggested that we go inside but I wanted to stay outside as long as I could.

Friday morning brought more upset.  Colin was unable to fill the RV water tank. It would not accept any input of water.  He called Voyageur RV that did the winterizing of our RV in the fall. Colin suspected that an error had occurred and he was upset at the stupidity of the situation. No one returned his phone calls/messages. Once I got back from my massage I called again and waited, next call I asked for the manager. About six calls later we received a call from the actual RV tech who did the winterizing. He recalled our RV but not what he did. He also said that it would Tuesday ( the 25th ) before he could come check it out. Meanwhile I asked him to call the mobile dispatch manager ( she refused to take calls or return calls ). She did call us back and said that the tech would be here within 45 minutes.  She must have canceled his other appointments and sent him directly to us. Joy. Who does that these days especially on the Friday afternoon of a long weekend? We were so happy. Once he arrived he figured out that he had made an error and it was an easy fix, a valve that should not have been left closed. This was the first time that our RV has ever been winterized. The RV tech stayed and helped Colin get the RV back up and functioning. Sadly he had slopped some of that pink RV antifreeze in the kitchen corian sink last fall and it left a stain 🙁  Still working on that issue.

This surprise greeted me once I finally went inside. I have no idea how Colin found the time to arrange a celebration for my birthday considering how chaotic our week had been. The banners were in lovely pastels saying ‘Happy Birthday’ which went perfectly with the pink polka dot balloons.  How fun!

Birthday cards from my husband and my two kids. I also received a card from a special friend that I met the summer before 7th grade as well as some special to me FB  greetings. Colin was so creative, Nanaimo bars are my favourite and it has been over ten years since I have enjoyed them. Love the cute candle display. He had purchased a seven layer dip with Que Pasa chips, another thing that I didn’t know that I was craving ( the dip, not the chips ). Dinner was take out from a new to us local Italian restaurant. Definitely a new favourite. OMG, so gourmet.

We sat outside later and enjoyed a glass of this Petalo Il Vino Dell Amore, a Moscato Bottega. You could taste the rose petals and  each sip was meant to be savoured. Only 6,.5% alcohol. For dinner we savoured a Sauvignon Blanc from Chile, Mancura Etnia ( 13% ) perfect choice.

Eventually we were able to get the RV  back in storage about 11AM Saturday, the 22nd. Meanwhile the neighbour started to take apart his concrete at 8AM but by 9:30AM the dust and noise ( not sure which is worse ) had stopped. We later discovered that his rented machinery would not work 😀 Am I bad? Saturday turned out to be the best day of our long weekend ( weather wise ) and we revealed in the peace and quiet.  We had blue sky, sunshine and heat and could hear the birds. It was a perfect day to celebrate my birthday. I kept joking that my mind was so strong that it stopped his noisy equipment from functioning. So now you understand the ups and downs of my last few weeks.

Currently we have restrictions as to only being able to travel within our health region. And any visitors from other areas are not welcomed. Our park here actually contacted folks from other areas ( including out of province ) and cancelled their reservations. It was surprising to see how empty the park was over the weekend.

However despite all of the above I did have a perfect birthday. We had fun and relaxed, sat in the sun and laughed at the antics of the puppies. As it was a long weekend I decided that I would continue to celebrate for three days. I am feeling so much better with little pain.

Double decker puppies.

<< Older Posts        Home        Newer Posts >>

22 responses so far

22 Responses to “The past two weeks have been a blur of emotion”

  1. Jim and Barb says:

    Ouch! That is a lot of frustrations, hopefully things will be quiet, bright and sunny soon! We are starting to see fewer and fewer people with masks. Most of the stores do not require them and those that do are requiring them for only people who are not vaccinated. Not really enforcable however.

    • contessa says:

      They say that we will be wearing masks likely until early September according to the new four step recovery plan. I hope that there won’t be any repercussions in the US because of those not wearing masks. No one wants this to carry on.

  2. Hope you are on the mend and are feeling a lot better now. Happy belated birthday to you! Colin sure knows your taste and how to spoil you. Your two little girls are looking very healthy and beautiful. They sure cuddle a lot and show affection for each other. We here in Ontario are still NOT allowed into the stores except for groceries so you guys are lucky. We, or at least I am, are getting desperate to shop for some items in person. You cannot have everything shipped or do curbside pick up, you know.

    • contessa says:

      Thank you Marlene. The girls love to cuddle and if one comes inside she walks all over the house until she finds her sister. I am hoping that Ontario will settle down very soon. You do need to start opening at least a bit.

  3. Jannose says:

    Sounds like a stressful couple of weeks. Glad you are feeling better and enjoyed your birthday. Look forward to seeing you in July.

    • contessa says:

      It actually was stressful mostly because I had no vitality. Yes July will be fun though a short visit.

  4. Sandie says:

    What a miserable time you’ve been having. I sure hope the next couple of weeks go so much better. Thank goodness for the joy of puppies.

    • contessa says:

      Oh Sandie I cry a little each time I think of you without a doxie in your arms. I am doing better, thank you for caring.

  5. CATHELINE says:

    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Those two puppies are so adorable. Keep on smiling!

    • contessa says:

      Thank you my friend. I have not choice but to smell an at times and even laugh out loud at times. The girls are so entertaining.

  6. Don & Kathy McKelvay says:

    You had a lot of us worried for you but understand ‘things happen’. Many belated Happy Birthday wishes and we pray your pain will subside. It is amazing what joy and peace (well sort of) dogs can bring.

  7. Linda Sand says:

    Sorry things went awry for awhile. I can’t believe how long the puppies are getting!

  8. Dolores says:

    Happy, Happy Birthday to you!!

  9. Karen says:

    What a crazy week you have had but a happy belated birthday to you. Things are looking good for your Fort Langley stay.

    • contessa says:

      Yes, soon we shall see you. The travel restrictions are working out perfectly, even for our trip to Edmonton in July.

  10. SandyM says:

    Dear Contessa, I am so very sorry for all the frustration of the last little while and so very glad you are feeling better now and had a wonderful birthday. Colin sure knows how to lift your spirits as do your little puppies – so many blessings there. Many hugs to you and continue to be well.

    • contessa says:

      Thank you. Yes Colin is special, it only takes a few simply items to make me happy. Thanks for the hugs.

  11. Bill and Carol says:

    First – Happy Birthday! Glad it was a nice evening.
    Feel for you over the mouse problem. That is what we came home to this year from Mexico. Guess they’d been living in the house for months. As with you EVERYTHING had to be emptied, cleaned and disinfected. What a mess.
    Do you think you’ll be able to go south this winter?

    • contessa says:

      Thank you. As long as the border is open we will head to Mazatlan. As to your mice, I think I would have just moved and sold the house as is. I have something to email you shortly.

Leave a Reply