Aug 08, 2020

Breaking Point!!!!

Individually we each reached the end of our rope this past Wednesday. I was going to post that evening but I was beyond exhausted. Then I was still stressed about it the next day and too tired to post yesterday.  Colin actually started to write this post on his own. It now has bits from him as well as myself.

We have been having some strange sounds in the Jeep when we turn the A/C on.  It sounded like a Covid patient gasping for air. We took the car to both Jeep dealerships here in town and both needed close to three weeks before they could see us.  I, Colin, discovered that Fountain Tire whom we paid well over 4K for new RV tires in the spring also did mechanical work. I snagged an appointment for 8AM Wednesday. About thirty minutes in the mechanic came out and said that the problem was the alternator and it was weak and not generating enough electricity for the A/C  to operate and that we ended to replace the alternator.  This was the mechanic’s assumption and he stated that he has been a mechanic his entire life.  So three hours and $900.00 later the original sound problem we had was still present. He then said “solved that – however we still have an A/C sound to fix”.  I (Colin) was quite upset as the mechanic said before the new alternator installation, that he was 99% sure that the alternator was the reason for the A/C noise 😯 So here we are, paid $900.00 to fix an A/C gasping noise and no fix done. The option was to put the old alternator back in which had a bit of a squealing noise as per the mechanic ( we never noticed it ) and leave it at that or go one step further and have him totally inspect ( on another day ) the A/C system discharge it and recharge it at no additional cost??????

I think that the problem may be the A/C compressor or perhaps the system could just be low on freon because it is still giving us cool air.  What to do? Did we spend $900.00 that we did not have to?

That was expensive but easy compared to Contessa’s problem.  The worst night of her life. Telus is the internet email service we use for specific things related to business and a few other important things.  Telus decided to change their provider to Gmail so now we get our Telus emails through Gmail. Except, Telus never informed us of these changes and we were unable to receive our TELUS emails since July 29th.  She spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with a Telus technical representative who is located in the Philippines to help her.  Unfortunately they are not always knowledgeable of the system. After 2.5 hours she questioned what he was doing and asked if he knew what he was doing. He said “I will have to pass you on to a more knowledgeable person who will call you back”. The new higher up tech guy called and she started over.  Apparently Telus is migrating their email to Gmail. Now 4 hours in, our diner has been cooked and is ready to eat, nothing else done re diner prep (no time) as we are on the phone with this guy who has taken over the computer and keeps trying different things. Total frustration and lets throw the dining room table through the window thinking.  So this highest level Telus tech guy is lost, now 5 hours in. Contessa is trying to be patient but is very upset. I am thinking. DONE DONE DONE.  A really good blog to read and to remember re this is 2020 and we have evolved into a very complicated technical age.  Simple is better and maybe we should throw it all in the gargbage and just eat raw foods? So now 6 hours in and the laptop reconfigured and Contessa wants to do my desktop and all I want is a tub of ICE CREAM.  So here we are reconfiguring my computer to accept Telus emails.  So a little more than 6 1/2 hours later I think we are done and working. The Phillipino tech said he needs an hour break. Well, our whole evening was taken up because of their inefficiency in setting up the transfer of their email accounts through Google. Someone screwed up here.

I seriously was ready to cry. I was not sure how much more I could take.

So life goes on, I will leave the rest of the blog to Contessa, Signing off, Colin.

Colin actually wrote this while I was still on the phone with Telus. He was most frustrated and he even stamped his foot several times.  He was already done from the Jeep issue and now here I was dealing with another huge problem. Yes it is true, I was on the phone with them for over 6.5 hours. The first tech, Abel, knew nothing about the Apple system nor much about what was happening with the migration. I finally insisted that he find some else who knew how to work with the Mac system. Nico was kind and gentle but took a very long time to figure out the problem.

Not an act for the camera.  I wanted to scream into the phone but had to hold myself in.

Colin and I had no idea that Telus was doing this migration thing. Nico said that I should have received info on that the end of June. Nope, non and nada. Later it turns out that Telus had sent me information re the switch on July 30th.  However we were offline from July 29th on.  I kept putting off calling Telus as we often go off-line and eventually it comes back after a day or two. As our answering service is linked to Telus I finally found the time to call late afternoon last Wednesday. It was daylight at 4:30PM when I started and it was closer to 11PM when I hung up the phone.  I truly was feeling sick throughout the call, my stomach was churning and I wanted to cry and then to scream in frustration. I had no control over the situation.  More so because both of the Telus techs had taken control of my computer. As I could see what they were doing I was able to voice my concerns and tell them that they were wrong. Heck I know nothing technical but knew enough to keep my eye on what they were doing. At one point they wanted to erase all my stored emails. It was very tiring and I was hungry. It was a simple plan was for me to call Telus and get the problem resolved. But it went on and on and on.  While all this was happening I decided to put a frozen seafood  lasagna in the oven.  Between heating the oven, the 60 minute cook time and the cooling time, it was pitch black out and I still has two more computers to do.  Colin ate and I had no choice but to continue. I feared that if I waited to the next day to finish up that I would not find a tech who knew what to do. It had taken Nico over 3.5 hours to figure things out. We finally did get both desktop computers and the laptop working with Telus but he was unable to figure out my iPad.

So once done he told me that he was really tired and needed a one hour break. I asked him how he thought I was feeling having started 2.5 hours earlier with the other tech. He suggested that I have a glass of wine  🙄  It was close to 11PM.  I got off the phone, ate a small piece of lasagna ( sadly no salad nor veggies ), brushed my teeth and went directly to bed.

On the laptop, still had Colin’s desktop to go. As you can see it is now dark outside. I think Colin may have eaten by now.

Friday morning Colin went back to Fountain Tire for them to check out the A/C system which they said they would do at no charge to us but we would have to pay for repairs if needed. Colin decided to go for a walk while they worked.  They called and told him that they could not do it as the Jeep had a newer type of freon that they were not able to work with. He got back and they handed him the vehicle keys. Umm no he said. There really is nothing wrong with the alternator and I want you to put it back into my Jeep and I want a full refund. We both believe that the alternator was not the problem. So they took out the new alternator and put in the old one and Colin got a full refund.

Colin then headed over to a different location called the “Auto Doctor” who listened to the wheezing sound and knew exactly what was wrong. The mechanic explained that this was a common issue in Jeeps and Dodge trucks. He said that it was low on freon, the new freon that came out in 2015, but as the Jeep was still putting out cold air that we were okay to wait until next summer. Oh, the repair cost would be between $350.00 and $500.00. The new freon costs $13.00 per ounce.  So happy to get our $900.00 plus back.

Last Wednesday ( August 5th) was definitely a low point for us.

28 Responses to “Breaking Point!!!!”

1. Lucy says:

OMG, your whole experience sounds like @ terror movie. Glad things improved. My regards: Lucy.

2. Doug says:

When it comes to Telus you should ask where the technician/csr is located, if anywhere but Canada I always ask to be transferred to a Canadian technician/csr. This always produces better results for me

I agree with you but I suspect that the tech calls are being out sourced more and more. I will keep this in mind, thanks for the suggestion.

3. What a living nightmare! Good for Colin to insist on the refund and to get a second opinion on the issue. That just tells you that we cannot take someones word for granted.
    As to the issue with the Telus account. I question what do companies do that have their email address printed on signs, stationary etc. They cannot be expected to change those now to “gmail”. Isn’t the Telus company obligated to reroute all emails and leave the email address unchanged? It shouldn’t require any changes on ones own devices, or does it? And to have someone else have access to your computer? Maybe I don’t understand the problem.
    In any case, I hope you guys will be in better hands in the future and all problems will go away. Let us know how it turns out.

• Rod Williams says:

The email addresses remain the same, they are just ‘Powered’ by Gmail. Previously they were done by Dell, if I recall. It’s a background thing that shouldn’t be noticeable to anyone, unless they mess it up like they did for Contessa. With Telus, that hardly ever happens ?

I don’t think I explained the situation. By migrating with Gmail they were still allowing us to keep our existing Telus.net email address. I suspect that this cold have been the problem and combined with an Apple computer they were stumped. It has happened to me in past where a tech will take control of my computer remotely and it often works out much quicker if they can manipulated the computer themselves and see what they re doing and finding. We still have our original Telus email address from 35 years ago but it is just operating thru Gmail.

4. Glad Colin got his full refund and only lost his time which is bad enough.
    I feel the frustration that you had gone through.
    After having similar problems with Bell changing our E-mails I was ready to pack it all in. Then we had another problem where a Service Tech came to our house. When I mentioned the former problem he said he always advised people to create a G-mail or Hot-Mail account even though Bell was the Internet Provider. It was after that I created our G-mail accounts which we have not had any problems in over Ten Years.
    Be Safe and Enjoy another glass of wine.

It’s about time.

I figured that you would have an idea of our frustration. In 2012 our Telus email address was compromised and many friends were getting emails supposedly from us asking for money to get us out of Spain. Not sure of course. So right then we each created our own personal Gmail address which we still have. However because of the business we still needed to retain the Telus address and account. Just last week we got an email form an old client. This was just an unexpected and huge glitch that we had to deal with.

5. Maxx Trails says:

So glad that you were able to get your money back, but of course that doesn’t help with the frustration they put you through. We are also happy that in the midst of all this drama you were able to come by for a visit … which we really enjoyed ?

I think Colin would have been even more frustrated if he had to received a full refund. Visiting you was a breath of fresh air and totally relaxed us. It was a wonderful visit.

6. Shirley Whitelaw says:

We have to do the same thing here for 1 laptop, but I refuse to do it until they get their act together. This is totally unacceptable for a service we are paying for! Somebody screwed up big time!!

Good luck Shirley, I with I had a suggestion to make the process easier. The entire process should have been orchestrated and communicated to us.

7. Janet Ashworth says:

Car and computer problems on the same day! No wonder you both reached your breaking point! Sounds like you have things under control now but that doesn’t make up for hours of stress. As a former TELUS employee I would advise you to go up the chain of command and complain about the migration to a new platform. Squeaky wheel gets the oil, ask for a monetary refund, hit them in the pocket, it is one method of making your point about poor service.

Hola Janet. I was going to call Telus the next day and complain. However it has taken me until today to get over this horrific episode. It is worth getting upset about again? I usually would make the call butI am still contemplating it.

8. Rod Williams says:

Cars and Computers may just signal the end of Society as we know it. I hate to tell you, but the migration to the new email has been seamless for us, but we did receive the notification from them early and I set up our 4 different emails and 5 different devices before they messed around. Sylvia’s Mom’s email is scheduled for Tuesday, and that will likely be a challenge though….

What you mean they actually schedule appointments to do this? Now I just might call Telus. Not fair. Good to know that it all went well for you. Did you figure out how to put Telus into an iPad? I just might have to call you.

9. Kelly Florence says:

What an extrordinary debacle ! I would have bee totally zonked.
    To have both of these stress inducing incidents on one day would be too much.
    I’m glad you guys stood your ground with the jeep dealer.
    Surely Telus must have run into this with other users. Wonder if it was just Mac users ?

I was zonked but even more hungry which is why I ate a bit and then went directly to bed. I think it might be more a case of the techs being from the Philippines and not too savvy. Most tech are familiar with both.

10. Don & Kathy McKelvay says:

I feel your frustration and anger. The ‘professionals’ are supposed to know what the problems are and how to fix them. Computers, software, are great when they work but create mental breakdowns when they don’t. Glad you and Colin stood your ground and demanded they provide refunds and do the work they were supposed to do. At least you can smile about that and get on with life, with a bottle or two of wine!

Thanks. Yes it is time to get on with life. In the whole big picture this is nothing but a glitch except both of theses glitches didn’t go down well. I think I am more sensitive because of Covid.

11. Karen says:

Wow! Holy moly!

12. Bryan Seaton says:

Rough day, rough day, wow.
    I kinda like it when you both contribute to the blog. 🙂

Thanks Bryan. Very sweet of you to say that about the blog. I really liked it when Colin did some posts on his own and I never saw them until the next day. I will remind him. Ten years and three months is a long time to keep writing.

13. Sounds like a nightmare. My suggestion would be to ditch the provider email and just use Gmail. I have used it for something like 15 years and it is solid. No provider hassles.

Take care you two! Nancy

How lovely to hear from you Nancy. We are happily using Gmail for the most part. It’s just that many clients refuse to make the switch from the Telus address to the Gmail address. We really would prefer not to have to keep paying extra every month just to keep that Telus address but for now we must. I am beginning to think that we fell though the cracks especially after reading how Rod’s migration went well. I am so impressed that they actually scheduled his mother in laws migration. That just gives me incentive to call Telus with a complaint. Please stay safe in your special corner of Mexico.