Feb 20, 2017

Was it the California storm or another?

Whichever it was, it was a real pain in the neck for us.  We knew that we were expecting 18mm of rain last Saturday night, but not the high winds.  I guess being right on the ocean makes us more vulnerable.  For certain we got at least one inch of rain/25mm but likely more, all between midnight and 7AM.  Quite the storm.  We lost power twice.  I know of two RVers who were out at 2AM bringing in their awnings only because I saw them.  We did have some lightening but I personally never heard the thunder.  Colin had to get up and go out in the rain to remove the piece of cardboard that he had attached to our bedroom awing which kept the RV park light out of my eyes.  It was flapping against the awning arm and was extremely loud with each bang against the awning arm.  Colin slept fairly well but I was up more than asleep.

The morning showed us the consequences of the storm.  Fortunately we had rolled up our patio carpets and put them in the car prior to the rain.

A great deal of water on our patio.

Lots of things blown over including plant pots and the dog carriage.  Water everywhere.

The waster was pouring out of the drain we had installed under the RV last year.

We installed the drain last January as our patio was always under water, often ankle deep when it rained.  So I guess it did help to a certain extent.  You can see the photos of the drain construction by clicking here.

We had to get rid of the water or we would still, two days later be living in a mess.

The parking lot was a bit of a lake here and there but is soon dried up once the sun came out.

We took 15 buckets of water off the patio. At one point I was sweeping the water towards Colin as he scooped it up in the smaller pail.

I guess I was sweeping rather vigorously as I got a blister from holding the broom so tight.  Sadly it still hurts and affects how I use my right hand.

The water that couldn’t be scooped up was toweled up.

This fellow drove onto the beach and started frantically shoveling sand. He obviously needed to stop some water from going somewhere. He managed to dig himself well down into the sand as he filled the back of his truck.

One of the easier ways to ring the water out of the towels. Then mop up more water and repeat. I couldn’t help with this part due to my very sore finger.

The worst thing that the storm did was blow over Colin’s papaya tree.

Such a shame as it had so many papayas already growing.

After about 4 hours of clean up we finally got out for our beach walk.

The waves post storm were still significant yesterday afternoon and remain so today.

There was not as much beach sculpting as I had thought there to be, just enough for Carmeh to jump up and down.

The egret looks like he is on stilts.

We have survived yet another water intrusion.  But seriously enough already.

The weather is supposed to be improving starting tomorrow.  I could use more heat.  Meanwhile its time for me to head outside and enjoy some wave action.







<< Older Posts        Home        Newer Posts >>

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “Was it the California storm or another?”

  1. That was a nasty storm, sorry about his tree. Glad that was all the damage you got though.

  2. Catheline says:

    A shop vac would do wonders sucking up all that water and they come in several sizes.

  3. My first thought was get a shop vac! Obviously Catheline and I are very smart… May you have warm sunny days now…

  4. Shelagh says:

    What a mess, oh how I wish I had that mess! We need some sunshine and btu’s here.
    Glad the tree be replanted or is the stalk too badly damaged.

Leave a Reply