Oct 10, 2019

Medical travel insurance

There was a period of time that we would only get insurance while we were transiting the USA and did without in Mexico.  Should something happen to us there we would just pay the bill.  However should we be in accident or get hit by a car while walking in the USA we wanted to be covered.  A few years ago we decided that it was time to get full medical travel insurance.  I spent weeks comparing apples to apples and came to the conclusion that the Costco insurance through Manulife was the best deal.  I was dreading completing our insurance for this trip south as I have read on two blogs that prices have gone up considerably as well as read that in a few articles in the news.

We had a wee shower a week or so ago and had a lovely double rainbow.

Sure enough our costs have risen and it doesn’t help that I turned 65 last year.  We have been getting an annual coverage that is good for 30 days, as many trips as you want in a year.  If you will be away longer that 30 days you need to top up your policy with the number of extra days.  For instance we needed an extra 1o days for our recent trip to Europe and that only cost us $40.80CAD each.  The annual policy is reasonable at $190.38 each.  We are in the same category for now but that will change next year when Colin turns 70. Fortunately we always answer no to any of those health questions they ask, nor do we take any medication of any kind.  We needed to add 130 days to our annual policy for this trip to Mexico and that cost us another $769.86 each 😯

So with the annual policy and both the 10 day and the 130 day add ons our total annual medical insurance cost was $1009.84CAD/$760.00USD each.  Because of my age my increase over last year was $342.21 and Colin’s increased by $186.81.  So basically insurance costs, at least with Costco and for our physical health and age has gone up by $186.81.  It does start to add up overtime.  On the other hand we are covered for being out of country for 200 days in a 365 day period.   That works out to $5.05 per day, not bad overall.  Plus we were covered for our trip to Edmonton in September and Colin’s recent visit to Winnipeg to see Mommio.

If I was as clever as Colin I could have put these three photos together.  It almost looks like the pot of gold is at the end of my street.

Do you all get travel medical insurance?  Does anyone have any suggestions for a better price?

We did call earlier today to check in on Mommio and it appears that she has been mostly sleeping since Colin left. They did give her pain medication earlier today as she was restless. We asked if she seems to be missing Colin but they could not say, just that she has been sleeping.  However she did eat breakfast and lunch which is good.  At this point we don’t know if this will be her new normal, sleeping all the time 🙁

11 Responses to “Medical travel insurance”

1. Maxx Trails says:

I get medical insurance through my government pension which covers us for our first 40 days out of Canada and then I top it up. Since we are both healthy, on no medication, and younger it is really reasonable. I think it starts to creep up when we turn 70 so we have some time yet.

2. Kelly says:

You can use this cost as a medical expense when you file your taxes. It’s one of the most overlooked write offs in Canada.

3. Kathryn Tycho says:

We have coverage through Medipac. More this year as I turned 70. Discounts for claim free and loyalty as well as no increase up to three meds. $2388.00 for both of us. I added the small trip option which allows 18 days out of province/country as many times as we wish in addition to our 183 days. The biggest thing is that I know they have a very good reputation with the snowbird association and will pay. We have friends who were not adequately insured in Mexico and incurred very large bill’s. Not something we want to happen to us.

4. livingrichonthecheap says:

My only suggestion is shop around every year. Unfortunately, it is a cost of traveling. I don’t usually buy trip cancellation insurance (depends on how much is nonrefundable and where we are going, sometimes we do for big trips to Europe) but always always buy medical. We are still at the cheap stage fortunately but that will change soon. If you have BCAA try them as well. I do think it is worth it to buy because back when I was a travel agent I saw a lot of worst case scenarios…like a lady who got meningitis in Las Vegas who had insurance but the hospitals kept sending her horrendous bills($300,000 plus). It was so nice to tell her just to bring them in and I would send them to the insurance company. The hospital should have sent them direct to the insurance company but they didn’t.

BCAA is the most expensive of them all. We only pay for the medical travel insurance but will think about getting cancellation insurance for certain trips we are planning in the future.

5. AZGAL says:

MANY US HOSPITALS WILL NOT DEAL DIRECTLY WITH CDN MEDICAL INSURERS OR OTHER COUNTRIES. I SPEAK FROM OVER 40 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. HOWEVER, THE LOCAL HOSPITAL SURPRISED ME 3 YEARS AGO WHEN MY BILL WAS OVER 60K. I WAS CHECKING OUT MY REGULAR SECONDARY INSURANCE FOR A PRESCRIPTION REFUND AND SAW “CLAIM SUBMITTED” FOR THIS AND THAT. 5 SEPARATE CLAIMS AND I DID NOT PAY A CENT. COULD IT BE BECAUSE I CALLED MY OUT OF COUNTRY PEEPS BEFORE I DID ANYTHING? THEY DETERMINED THAT I SHOULD CALL FOR AN AMBULANCE AND GO FROM THERE. MAYBE THAT’S THE TRICK. HAVING NUMEROUS PRE EXISTING CONDITIONS AND ON OVER 30 DAILY PRESCRIPTIONS, AM OVER 70, I’M LUCKY TO HAVE SOME COVERAGE AVAILABLE FOR SOME THINGS. MAIN THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT MANY HOSPITALS WILL NOT SUBMIT THEIR BILLS TO CDN INSURANCE CARRIERS. YOU NEED TO ASK SO YOU KNOW. BECAUSE OF FREQUENT VISITS TO THE LOCAL HOSPITAL, OVER THE YEARS I HAVE NEGOTIATED REDUCED COSTS. AS I HAVE ALWAYS PAID MY BILLS, I GET XRAYS, ETC INITIALLY 25% BUT NOW 50% OF THE NORMAL COST. IF YOU HAVE A HUGE BILL, GO TO THE BILLING DEPT AND SAY YOU WANT TO SET UP A PAYMENT PLAN. THEY WILL WORK WITH YOU, USUALLY REDUCING YOUR BILL BY 50%. MY FAMILY DOC CHARGES ONLY WHAT MEDICARE WOULD PAY THEM.

6. We are fortunate to have Travel Insurance that is paid for by Ford Motor Company of Canada as part of our negotiated package. If not due to Kathy’s Congenital Heart defect we would not be able to travel. She inquired in 2015 it would have been over Three Thousand Dollars just for her.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the southern climate.

It’s about time.