Aug 08, 2018

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Today is day two of being socked in with smoke. Last night at sunset you could not see the mountains.

In the other direction, away from the lake we were unusually smoked in.

Compared to today this is an organized research desk.  Today was brutal but I only have one hour left to go.  Then onto Europe.  The runners on the left are a reminder to take them in to be stretched yet again.  I paid $200.00 for these special Mephisto closed toe shoes and they still hurt my toes.  Long time readers will remember that my feet are claustrophobic.  I will need more serious hiking shoes than sandals this fall.

Culled from our garden yesterday morning.  So many minis every day.

Last night we decided to open a red and found this in the wine rack. 2009!!!  Once it breathed it was excellent.  We still have two bottles from 2013.  They no longer bring this wine into BC.

Last evenings sunset, the vivid colors due to the smoke.

The view of the lake and mountains this morning remained smokey and we could smell the smoke in our home.  I really dislike living in air conditioning but sometimes we just have to.

I loved how the filtered sun lit up the dining area.

…and from inside the bathroom, the colors were most interesting.  The light through the stained glass has a different glow.

Colin now gets up early, often around 6AM to spend a few hours with one of his guitars.  This was taken this morning and you can see how the smoke is so very close to us.

After another smoke filled day we were treated to this smokey sunset.

14 Responses to “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes”

1. Dee Tillotson says:

Contessa, does Mephisto also make men’s running or hiking shoes? The reason I ask is that the toe box on men’s shoes is wider, rounder, and roomier. Nowadays, the men’s selection (also in various colors) for running shoes is pretty much about same as the women’s selection. I buy a size 9 in a very colorful men’s walking sneaker from Nike which gives me plenty of room to wiggle my wide toes and during the winter room to put on a pair of ankle socks. Like you, my feet are claustrophobic; but if I have to wear a closed toed sneaker, I want plenty of room to wiggle my toes. No one knows my sneakers are from the men’s aisle except you, me, and your readers.

• Dee Tillotson says:

As I was walking by the television last night (Beach had it on mute), QVC was advertising
      Vioinics walking shoes; it caught my eye because you had mentioned that brand. I took the television off of mute and listened for a while. I see your point regarding the Vionics arch support; nice looking shoes for $99.00US, and Vionics had the exact same shoes in style and color in the men’s selection. However, I’m not one to buy shoes from a QVC television advertisement; I need to try shoes on before I buy them, just hate returning items by mail and paying handling or shipping.

I do have a few pair of Vionic sandals that have about 70% of the arch support that I need. I use them more for dress up and dancing rather than walking. I really should be wearing orthotics but because I can’t wear closed toe shoes I don’t. It is not just the toe thing but having my foot closed in and laced up. UGH!!!!

• Dee Tillotson says:

Oh, I also meant to tell you that in the Vionics advertisement I watched on television, Vionics has for sale their arch support inserts, two for $67.00US (ouch!). You remove the arch supports which came with the shoes and have become very tired and flattened and insert the new supports. Maybe Mephisto also has those replacement arch supports.

I haven’t checked about the men’s shoes. Great idea as long as the arch support is on the correct place. When I go there next week to bring the shoes in to stretch yet again I will check out what they have in mens. But at $200.00 per pair I am going to try and make this pair work. The first stretch really helped but the stitching is crushing my toes in two places. Stay tuned 🙂

2. George Yates says:

Hopefully the smoke will soon clear for you. I just just a new pair of Merrel hiking shoes, nice wide toe box and I can actually wiggle my toes, I have never had a pair of shoes so comfortable.
    And my Birkenstocks actually came from the woman section for my size, but exactly the same sandal.

• Dee Tillotson says:

George, yep, I won’t tell (regarding the sandals). LOL!

Looks like the smoke is going to get much worse with another huge fire started tonight. Good for you for finding the Merrel hiking shoes. I looked them up online and it seems that I might need to add the extra insole which has a lot of negative comments. However I will look for them in a store and give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

3. You sure have got a nice tomato harvest. I only put in 3 plants this year and unlike other years they don’t seem to be doing well. Normally I have bumper crops. My strawberries have taken off though. I love that stained glass picture of the heron, so very pretty and such a great piece in your home

My tomatoes are crazy but you have to remember that I hand pollinate every day. I planted five tomatoe plants. Nice that your strawberries are finally paying off in produce. We love our heron also.

4. Maxx Trails says:

We really need a good rain … without a thunderstorm! But the smoke does made for pretty sunsets and sunrises.

Fingers crossed that we get rain tomorrow and no lightening. Hope that the new fire tonight is not affecting you too much.