Sep 09, 2017

Adios and rain!

Colin was off at 5AM this morning.  He was on his way to visit his 103 year old Mom in Winnipeg.  This is the first time he has seen her since she went into a home mid April.  He had to pay $25.00 one way to check in his guitar.  Mommio loves to hear him play.  All his personal items were in his small carry on item in his other hand.  Needless to say she is not happy where she is.  Colin says that her room looks industrial and stale with no personal accents other than two pictures.  Not at all warm and home like.  Apparently she had a a fall two weeks ago that required stitches above her eye.  We were not informed of her fall.  I am more than upset.

Colin’s two bothers have the power of attorney and made all the decisions including cleaning out her home.  They made the decision to move her out while she was at a low point physically.  They did not ask Colin about her possessions or what they had decided.  So he had no say as to what she might like in her room at the place she now lives.

Last evening before Colin left we reviewed our fire evacuation plan. I wanted to be certain that I knew what needed to be done just in case.  Whether he is here or at work, or like this weekend in Winnipeg, I am now confident with our written plan.  It is written in stages based on how much notice we have to evacuate.  If we only have 10 – 15 minutes we take such and such.  If we have another 15 minutes we take such and such.  Lets hope that we never ever need to put it into play but there was a news article published today that stressed that the floods and increased fires were our new normal for this area 😯

You can’t tell by my rain chain as I was too late to take a photo at the height of the rain but we have rain!!!  We have had it off and on for the day. Wonderful news for us here in the Okanagan.  You can see that our patio is wet and if you look closely there is a thin stream of rain.  Back to sunshine tomorrow.

10 Responses to “Adios and rain!”

1. ARIZONA GAL says:

HOPE THE RAIN HELPS WITH THE FIRE FIGHTING. AM CERTAIN YOU APPRECIATED THE RAIN WASHING AWAY THE WORST OF THE SMOKE. ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO OUR AIR QUALITY WAS 10+. NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAD TO WEAR MY MASK AND USED MY INHALER MORE OFTEN THAN NORMAL. I DON’T KNOW HOW ALL OF YOU LIVING SO CLOSE TO ALL THE FIRES CAN EVEN BREATHE. I’D HAVE TO BE IN A BUBBLE. TODAY WE WERE 4 AND WAS HAVING SOME TROUBLE. HOME CARE HERE FOR EYE DROPS 3 TIMES A DAY THEN BACK IN THE EVENING FOR OINTMENTS FOR THE EYE LIDS.

GLAD YOU HAVE YOUR PLAN FOR WHAT YOU WOULD TAKE WITH YOU DEPENDING ON YOUR AMOUNT OF NOTICE. I WILL TAKE MY LAPTOP AND ALL THE IMPORTANT PAPERS/FLASH DRIVES, CHEQUE BOOKS IN THE FRIDGE. I CAN GATHER EVERYTHING IN 5 MINS AS EVERYTHING IS IN ONE PLACE EXCEPT THE LAPTOP. BOTH HERE AND THERE, EVERYTHING IS THE SAME SO WE DON’T HAVE TO THINK WHERE ANYTHING IS. IT’S AUTOMATIC. IT HELPS TO BE PREPARED. FIGURE IT’S LIKE INSURANCE. IF YOU HAVE IT, YOU SHOULDN’T NEED IT, BUT LET IT LAPSE, YOU’RE IN TROUBLE. HOPEFULLY BEING READY MEANS THE SAME.

HANG IN THERE. HUGS.

Told we have very little smoke. I can smell it more than see it.

In the event of evacuation, we have two desktops plus the laptop once it is repaired not to mention the important files and papers. Then there are the cameras which Colin has put down in the order of importance. We know that if we only have time for one vehicle it will be the Jeep as that is what we tow behind the RV.

2. George Yates says:

Hope the rain helps with this fires out there and that Colin has a wonderful visit with his mom.

Well he is having a good time with his Mom but the visit is not quite what he expected it to be. He is saddened by what he saw when he arrived.

3. Dee Tillotson says:

Contessa, you and people on the west coast of Canada and US are the only ones I would wish to get rain at this time. I know you look forward to the fresh sea air in Mexico after breathing all the smoke up there. On this side of the continent (east side), there is too much rain, and we are just in the middle of the storm season with a couple of months to go. No doubt, Colin’s Mother will be so happy to see him; no matter how old he gets, he will always be her little boy.

Thank you Dee from taking time out of your storm preparations to leave a comment.

One of the staff told him today that she was telling them that he was her favorite. I wish we lived closer or that we could have her here but it it too late at 103!!!!!

4. So glad you got some rain. We got rain on Thursday and Saturday, all day both. I was so happy. Today it’s not raining and we can smell smoke again, likely from the Washington fires this time. At least the temperatures are lower and I am so thankful for that – no more AC! Colin’s family sounds like my brother-in-law. Hubby was supposed to be joint Power of attorney but right before his Mom totally lost all her marbles his brother took her to a lawyer and had him removed of that. Needless to say when his Mom passes I highly doubt he will ever talk to his brother again. Now all we get is a text when she is in hospital (seriously, this happened a few weeks ago).

We just had the rain yesterday but it did clear the smoke although I can still smell it a bit.

Yes it does finally feel like fall. Although we did get up to 24C today and tomorrow will be 26C. Lovely blue sky with a few clouds. Of course if Colin was here he would be working but none of the clients have called so all is well. He doesn’t return till 8PM tomorrow.

From how things are going in Winnipeg he could do with another few days. It looks like we may need to go back in 4 – 6 weeks. She is the priority in our lives, Mexico can wait.

I am no longer speaking no anyone in my family and basically there is no communication from his family. Mommio fell two weeks ago and required stitches, no one told us. So sorry to hear of the conflict with your husband’s family.

5. Croft Randle says:

We had a little rain here on The Island as well but not enough. We are probably the only ones in the world looking longingly at the downpours in Florida. Hold the wind please!

Definitely hold the wind. Let’s give these fires a chance to calm down. I do feel for all the folks in Florida and of course the Caribbean.