Apr 29, 2016

I was injected over 70 times…..

…yesterday 😯   Not fun 🙁

But first an update on Caeli.  She is doing a bit  better but certainly not herself.  Such a sweet girl who has barely complained at all.  The vet even called this morning to see how she was doing.  Very nice touch.

So the reason I was unable to stay with Caeli at the vet yesterday was because I myself was having a double medical appointment.

It was my third day out of six to have my veiuns done.

It was my third day out of six to have my veins done.  I have more than three times the amount of injections on the back of my right leg but I was turned the wrong way for the photos.  The MD, shown in the photo, was unable to do my back right leg last Thursday as I had a major problem with a vein on the front going into my femur.  It was not closing and the blood flow was poor and required an ultrasound to guide the doctor deep into the vein.  It was confirmed yesterday that the treatment was successful.  She refused to put too much medication into me last Thursday and more than made up for it yesterday.

This is the face of someone who never used sun screen. No one including my mother told me to and so I didn't and now look at me.

This is the face of someone who never used sun screen. No one including my mother told me to and so I didn’t and now look at me.

These are not simple spots that can be treated with IPL or similar.  I tried and it did not work.  These are seborrheic keratosis spots.

If not treated they can turn into horrible wart looking things.

If not treated they can turn into horrible wart looking things.  I felt that I had no choice but to be treated.

We actually saw a lady on the Isla beach this past winter who had  large warts on her face as well as hanging from her chest.  I was diagnosed with this problem last September shortly before we left for Mexico.  Now you know why I was wearing hats in all of my photos this past winter.  I having been using an SPF25 moisturizer the last few years, too little too late.  I am now applying an SPF50 sunscreen over that moisturizer. and wearing a hat.  Please, please protect your face folks.  I certainly wish that I had.

The only thing that will work for this problem is to essentially destroy the top layer of skin so that it will grow back in a healthy manner……hopefully.  In the photo above the doctor is freezing the worst spots in my face.  I won’t lie, it was excruciatingly painful.    I almost told her to stop and was ready to leave the room.  However Colin was there to hold my hands and encourage me.


The white/beige areas have been pumped full of anesthetic.  My MD is using electrocautery to remove the top layer of skin.  Despite the freezing it did hurt in certain areas.  I could also smell my flesh burning.

The machine that was used.

The machine that was used.

What it looked like immediately after the treatment.

What it looked like immediately after the treatment.  The brown colored layer is gone.  You can see some lighter brown spots in the top right area, they will be treated with a special creme over the next seven weeks.

This is what the creme is made of.

This is what the creme is made of.

That same side of my face at 6:30PM yesterday.

That same side of my face at 6:30PM yesterday.

It was suggested that I sleep on my back which I can’t do so I had a very restless night ( my second night in a row ).  No matter how or where I lay my face was a combination of light pain, itching and burning.  I took a T3 which barely made a difference.  Here I am at 5:25PM Friday ( tonight ) and I still feel my face throbbing in those areas.  All I can say is please use sun screen, you never know when those spots are going to manifest.

This was taken about 10 minutes ago.

This was taken about 10 minutes ago.

The skin is slowly forming a scab.  Then I have to wait about 2 weeks for the scab to fall off and then I will have some bright pink spots on my face.  I am told that it will take between 4 to 6 months before my face will look normal.  You can bet that I will be wearing SPF 50 and a hat for the rest of my life as I do not want to go through this ever again.  I must add that thinking about Caeli at the vet all alone while I was having my face cauterized  did take some of the stress of the moment off of me.  In fact the vet called right in the middle of my procedure to give us an update.

So now you know why yesterday was so traumatic for us.

I am likely housebound for a few days until the scabs form so that I don’t become infected.  I may have to start doing any walking late at night so as to not shock anyone 😳  The wine continues to flow.


<< Older Posts        Home        Newer Posts >>

10 responses so far

10 Responses to “I was injected over 70 times…..”

  1. lucy says:

    O M G, what an awful lesion on the nose the model has it looks like it could very well be scraped away with a chisel … You did good been treated. Hang in there, it will get better in few days !

  2. Don in Okla. says:

    Yep, I’m paying for all the sun burns and blisters and the hours and hours on the tractor with no shirt or hat and, of course, no sun screen. They didn’t have such when I was young. Now, every 6 months to a dermatologist for freezing or cutting then healing with hopefully, no regrowth of cancer. Who knew when we were young.

  3. Sandie says:

    I tried and tried to comment yesterday on Caeli and it wouldn’t work. I feel so bad for both of you. I had cancer on my forehead that they had to dig out and I had two black eyes for a month. So I stay covered when I’m outside now. Just wish I could convince the kids that they need to use tons of sunscreen and stay covered. Sure hope Caeli feels a whole bunch better tomorrow.

  4. Croft says:

    Oh yes, all the fun we had back in the 60’s falling asleep in the sun on Third Beach!

  5. Upriverdavid says:

    Yes..We were all silly years ago…I used to have “stuff” burned off every 6 months…Now I only have to visit the “freeze” machine yearly….
    Sunscreen and hats..or stay covered and out of the sun….
    Good thing I’m a night person….
    It only takes me about 2 weeks for the face to get back to normal…..Oh, and my left arm from hanging out the driver’s window going down the roads..That had to be cut out and she didn’t get it all and I had to have it done again….
    Hang in there,

  6. Kelly says:

    I tried to comment on Caeli as well….
    Laying in the sun was a favorite summer pastime. I remember the wicked sunburns…..so foolish….

  7. George Yates says:

    Never did the sunscreen either, but always wore a hat when in the sun. and otherwise.
    good luck with the treatments.

  8. Connie in PA says:

    Thinking of you!!!

  9. Colleen says:

    Wow, you are having a real rough time at your house right now. My DH has had to have numerous freeze treatments and has also done the cream which basically takes the cancer off right along with the skin in that area. It looks great when it heals up but is a really rough treatment.

  10. Janet Ashworth says:

    Wow, it has been a rough couple of days! Hope Caeli is on the mend soon.
    Excellent advice regarding sun damage and the consequences. Pictures, way better than words. Tomorrow, will wear my sun hat!

Leave a Reply to lucy